Technology Showcase: More Case Studies for Moldmaking
This week’s Tech Showcase brings yet more case studies featuring the practical application of products for moldmaking.
Two weeks ago, I featured a few case studies that were originally published in MMT in 2015. As I said then, technologies may evolve but overall, hearing about how other shops are using various products to their advantage can be very helpful to those in need of objective feedback. So here we go with a slideshow and links to the balance of case study features from 2015.
In my previous Tech Showcase, case study topics focused on productionized machining, CAM software as it applies to prototype tooling, using machine-side systems for temperature and flow-rate monitoring to speed mold tryouts, enhanced machining precision, the benefits of laser welding systems, and cutting-tool technology that advanced feed rates. In this Tech Showcase, you’ll learn about:
- A mold shop’s use of laser scanning to accelerate inspection and reduce mold errors
- How a Doosan DNM 500 II made this moldmaker more competitive
- How one shop reduced waste and improved workflow using a mobile, flexible laser welding system
- One shop’s amazement at how fast metal-removal rates were using a certain face mill for heavy hogging (bonus video!)
- A system for tracking the usage and calibration of measurement tools helped a moldmaker achieve ISO certification and cut costs
- This shop’s preference for “Euro-style” mold bases.
As always, we welcome ideas for case study features from both supplier companies and mold manufacturers alike. It’s very valuable to provide evidence of a product’s efficacy that is based on the practical use of it. Email me with your ideas!
The latest battle in finely detailed restoration/repair of mold materials.
Factors to consider when selecting a texture or grain for a thermoplastic mold or die.
Molders offer a moving target for moldmakers to adjust to by producing parts with different cavity pressures.