Association Update: SPE Mold Technologies Division
The latest news from the Society of Plastics Engineers Mold Technologies Division, including available grant funds, ANTEC 2019 presentations and more.
The Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) Mold Technologies Division has set the schedule of its joint session with the SPE Injection Molding Division. Attendees at ANTEC 2019, which will be held March 18-21 in Detroit, Michigan, can hear about new developments in mold and molding technologies by joining the session on Tuesday afternoon, March 19, from 2-5:30 p.m. in the Nicolet Room of the Marriott Detroit Renaissance Hotel and Conference Center. Check the ANTEC website for up-to-date schedules and locations.
In addition to Keynote Speaker Matt Melonio, president of Providence Texture, who will speak about laser ablation for the mold industry, the lineup of papers that will be presented during the joint ANTEC session are as follows:
- 2-2:30 p.m. – Embedding Intelligence Into Smart Tupperware Brings Internet of Things Home
- 2:30-3 p.m. – Plastic Part Design and Shure Incorporated, Getting It Right the First Time
- 3-3:30 p.m. – CASE STUDY – Synergy of Industrial Design and Plastics Engineering Applied to the Design of Hyperspectral Imaging Camera
- 3:30-4 p.m. – Designer Polymers: Additive Manufacturing of Smart Materials as A Complement to Injection Molding
- 4-4:30 p.m. – Addressing “Cost” Right at the Design Stage: How Design Engineers Need to Take Charge
- 4:30-5 p.m. – The Influence of Fiber Length and Fiber Orientation on the Impact of Behavior of Polypropylene.
SPE MTD Awards and Grants
In addition, the SPE Mold Technologies Division is accepting applications for its Mold Maker of the Year and Mold Designer of the Year awards through April 30. Nominees do not have to be SPE members. Interested candidates should contact the Division’s Awards Chair, Wayne Hertlein, for an application form at email@example.com. Honorees will be announced at the Amerimold Expo where they will receive a plaque and grant money that will be donated on their behalf to the trade-related program of their choosing.
Each year, schools with industry-related education programs can apply for grants from the SPE Mold Technologies Division to help purchase or update tools, materials and other items used for training future mold industry professionals. To obtain a grant application form, email Greg Osborne, Education Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, look for the SPE at the Amerimold Expo on June 12-13 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois.
Valve gate installations must be made to manufacturer specs to obtain the advantages necessary for competitive production of injection molded parts in today’s marketplace.
A Series of International Standards for Quality Management and Quality Assurance
A practical look at what to consider when purchasing client/server inventory management software and how to implement such a program, as well as why and how it can benefit mold manufacturing operations.