We all know communication is the key to every relationship--at home, with friends and at work. Bad communication is the cause of most problems and good communication is the solution to most. However, proper communication is easier said than done. I found an interesting piece on how to boost team communication within the work environment by author and publisher Timothy Bednarz that I wanted to share.
According to this piece, leaders need to recognize that communication breakdowns will occur within the team environment; they need to be aware of the long-term effects; and, also how to recognize the symptoms of coummunication breakdown before they occur. Here are five symptoms to be aware of:
1. Loss of Trust and Respect: If leaders allow problems to fester and lead to a breakdown of team communication, they will experience a corresponding breakdown of trust and respect among team members that can be difficult, if not impossible, to restore.
2. Hindered Free-Flow of Ideas: Once communication has broken down among team members, discussions become more emotional and subjective rather than objective and factual.
3. Intimidation: Certain members will attempt to take control of the team process, subjugating the team to their personal agendas and perspectives.
4. Bias: Once the breakdown of communication has led to the destruction of the team order by one or more team members, a specific bias is created that supports the personal agendas of these individuals.
5. Faulty Decision Making: The breakdown of communication in the team environment inevitably leads to faulty decision making.
For the full article click here.