When requesting CAD/CAM infor-mation from customers, the American Mold Builders Asso-ciation (Roselle, IL) suggests that moldmakers utilize the following guidelines to ensure that the information that they receive is both correct and usable.
Guidelines for Part Prints, Databases and Communication
To give you the best delivery possible, members of the American Mold Builders Association have adopted the following guidelines. Through these guidelines a timely delivery can be assured by a cooperative effort to have all part prints and/or CAD data correct and complete so that when an order is released, it will move through engineering and manufacturing with minimal problems. We ask that at the time of quoting you inform us as to what type of CAD data we will receive when the order is placed. Upon placement of an order and before order acknowledgement, the data will be reviewed. If it is found that data is different than what was agreed upon, additional charges may be incurred.
- Part prints are fully dimensioned and toleranced.
- Draft is clearly defined and drawn on part print.
- All radii and sharp corners are called out.
- Surface finish and/or texture is stated.
- Moldability is assumed.
- Current part name, number and revision are stated.
- Revisions will be on separate levels and insertable into existing databases.
- Lines intersect with .0001.
- Draft is shown.
- Database is separated into levels.
- Database is separated into colors.
- No duplicate lines.
- All lines are present.
- All radii are shown.
- Moldability is assumed.
- Hard copy information is supplied for tolerance, finishes, critical areas and other pertinent data (control print).
- Hard copy information or a plot of the file contents is supplied to verify database translation.
- One wireframe file for design purposes.
- One surface file for CNC purposes. If it is found that this database does not represent the intended result, additional costs and potential delays in delivery may occur.
- Files from 2-D systems should be in standard orthographic projection with as many section views as needed to accurately describe the part.
- At this time, solids should be converted to both surfaces and wireframes through a translator optimized to output to our CAD/CAM system.
- If questions are asked by voice or fax, we must receive an answer within 48 hours or the delivery date will be moved out to adjust for lost time.
Your cooperation in this manner is appreciated, as deviations from these guidelines may adversely affect both the cost as well as the delivery of this order.